Reporting A Death That Occurred Outside South Africa

The Department of Home Affairs should be notified of the deaths of South African citizens / South African permanent residence permit holders that occur outside South Africa.

The following documents must be submitted to register the death:

  1. Written request containing the applicants full contact details such as address, mobile phone number, email address and copy of ID/Passport;
  2. Certified copy of the deceased South Africans passport/identity document/birth certificate;
  3. Certified copy of the foreign death certificate accompanied by an English translation by a sworn translator if the original certificate is not in English.
  4. Completion of the form DHA-1663.

There is no application fee for the registration of a death with the Department of Home Affairs, no certificate would be issued.

Postal Address:

South African High Commission
State Circle

South African Flag