Registration Of A Divorce Abroad

There is no formal application for registration of the divorce of a South African citizen, who got divorced abroad.

The Department of Home Affairs should however be informed of the divorce, so that the marital status, of a South African citizen may be updated on the National Population Register.

The following documents must be submitted to register the divorce:

  1. A letter/written request containing the applicants full contact details such as address, mobile phone number and email address;
  2. Certified copy of the applicant's South African passport/identity document/birth certificate;
  3. Certified copy of the foreign divorce decree accompanied by an English translation by a sworn translator if the original divorce decree is not in English;
  4. Certified copy of the marriage certificate;

Postal Address:

South African High Commission
State Circle

South African Flag