Application For The Alteration Of The Surname Of A Major

Section 17 of The Children's Act (Act No. 38 of 2005) stipulates that a child becomes a major upon reaching the age of 18 years.

This amendment is in terms of Section 26(2) of the Births and Deaths Registration Act, 1992.

Application for corrections, re-registration of a birth, insertion of the biological father's particulars, change of forenames, change of the surname of a minor, is different and the applicable guidelines should be consulted.

A woman may assume her husband's surname, or revert to her maiden surname or a prior surname she legally bore, and since 1997 a woman may also join her surname with that of her husband's as a double-barrelled surname. No application to the Department of Home Affairs is necessary in these instances. Person's whose surnames have changed, may apply for a tourist passport and/or identity document, reflecting the married surname.

On receipt of the following documentation, your application for the change of your surname will be referred to the Department of Home Affairs in South Africa. Legislation prescribes that the change of a surname of a Major must be gazetted in South Africa. The publication will be done by Home Affairs and your application fee covers this.

  1. Application form BI-196 and form BI-529.
  2. Form DHA-9 - All applications for amendments of persons 16 years and older MUST include the finger print form. To obtain the DHA-9 finger print form please send a self-addressed prepaid ordinary or express post envelope to the South African High Commission, State Circle, Yarralumla, Canberra 2600. Please include a cover note requesting the form and quoting applicant(s) full name and RSA ID number(s). (If more than one DHA-9 form is required please send a separate envelope for each form or one large envelope to accommodate all the forms).
  3. A birth certificate which shows parentage place of birth.
  4. Evidence of usage of the name to be registered. This may be in the form of qualifications, school reports, baptismal certificates, bank statements, etc. or a statutory declaration by a South African citizen who is prepared to state that this is the name currently being used.
  5. Written reasons for the name change must be supplied.

Application Fee: Non-refundable fee of AUD 36.00 per application

Payment must be in Australian Dollars (AUD) made out to the "South African High Commission" by way of Postal Money Order or Bank Cheque.

Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted. ONE bank cheque or Postal Money Order for the total amount / whole family is preferred. Incorrect payment will not be accepted; in case of incorrect payment the cheque or postal money order will be returned to applicant.

Return Postage

  • For applications originating from within Australia - a Self-addressed Registered Post Envelope (only one envelope per family).

Forms may be down loaded from or

Postal Address:

South African High Commission
State Circle

« back

South African Flag