Identity Document application (first time applicants)
Identity documents can only be issued to South African citizens aged sixteen years or older.
New Zealand Applicants
The following documents are to be filled out, clearly printed in black ink:
- Fully completed BI-9. To obtain the BI-9 Finger Print form, please email
your request to email@example.com
and quote the applicant's ID number and
postal address. The form will then be posted to you. Alternatively, phone the
- Completed BI-529 (citizenship questionnaire), sections A & B regarding your personal particulars. (Note: Question 9 is the last permanent date of departure from South Africa). Sections C & D requires your parents' particulars, i.e. their names, dates & places of birth and detail of residence in South Africa.
- A copy of your Retention of South African Citizenship Certificate (dual citizenship)
if you also have the citizenship of a foreign country.
- Certified copy of Marriage certificate (female applicants only).
- Certified copy of full birth certificate. Where a name change has taken place, a copy of the approval letter or new amended certificate from the Department of Home Affairs.
- Certified copy of photo page of parent(s) Identity documents
- Two (2) certified passport photographs, 35mm x 45mm, in colour showing full facial features of the applicant (head and shoulders). (Photographs taken at photo booths are not acceptable).
- First applications for Identity Documents are issued free of charge.
- For applications originating from within Australia - a self-addressed Express
or Registered Post Envelope (only one envelope per family).
The application and supporting documentation should be returned to this Mission for processing.
South African High Commission
Approximately 6 to 12 months as all applications are forwarded to the Department of Home Affairs in South Africa. Please do not contact the Mission before then.
Notice for the Police Officer taking