South African Passports
Applicants applying for first adult passport (i.e. applicants 16 years old or turning 16) must ALSO apply for an ID book along with the passport or before applying for the passport.
As per DHA Circular No. 1 of 2022 third party collection of PASSPORTS/TRAVEL DOCUMENTS is strictly prohibited. If applying for a passport within South Africa, the DHA Office where the application is lodged, cannot redirect the passport for dispatch to the Mission.
The South African Passport and Travel Documents Act of 1994 regulates the issuing of South African passports and travel documents.
New passport must be applied for 6 to 12 months before current passport expires or if the passport has no more blank visa pages available. Passports have a validity of 10 years for adults and 5 years for children.
Passports are not extended once they have reached the expiry date - a new application must be lodged.
Passport applications take 6 to 12 months to be finalized. Applicants are requested to bear in mind that applications are referred to the Department of Home Affairs in South Africa for processing.
Applicants are requested not to contact the Mission unnecessarily for progress on passport applications (These requests ultimately delay the process)
The Department of Home Affairs has now introduced a "maxi passport", which contain 48 visa pages instead of 32 pages. These passports are available to persons who travel extensively. In order to apply for a maxi passport, indicate this on the application form and pay the correct fee.
Different types of South African passports and their requirements
Passport Applications (Adult or Child)
Please note: Do not make firm travel bookings before obtaining your
Passport Requirements (All passport types)
- Form BI-73 - Passport
application form. Please ensure that the Police certify Section B of the application form - Adult as well as Child applications. Applicants 16 years and older please ensure you sign the form and have your left thumb print placed in the designated area. Application MUST be completed and signed in black ink only.
- Form BI-529 - Determination of Citizenship Status. The purpose of the form is to establish that as a South African Citizen you have not lost your Citizenship. Please mark N/A to questions that are not applicable. Please note questions 9 and 10 MUST be answered and section 'E' signed by the applicant or the form will be returned.
- Form DHA-9 - Although this form is mainly used for ID applications
all passport applications of applicants 16 years and older done from
abroad MUST include the finger prints. Fingerprints can be taken at the nearest police station; electronic fingerprints on local police cards are not accepted.
- To obtain the DHA-9 finger print form please send a self-addressed, prepaid, ordinary post envelope (A4 size with correct postage stamps) or an express post envelope, to the South African High Commission, State Circle, Yarralumla, Canberra 2600. Please include a cover note requesting the form and quoting applicant(s) full name and RSA ID number(s).
- Form DI-47 - Loss Report: Stolen / Lost Passport. Only if your passport is Stolen or Lost.
- A certified copy of your old / current passport / identity document / birth certificate.
- A certified copy of your foreign citizenship certificate and your dual citizenship certificate, if applicable. In cases of those applicants who acquired foreign citizenship through any of their parents, a certified copy of your own full birth certificate showing the birth places of your parent(s). Under circumstances where even the parents acquired such citizenship through descent, a letter from the relevant authorities of the country concerned will suffice. Documents issued in a foreign language must be officially translated to English by a sworn translator.
- Photographs Four (4) clear professionally taken colour photos of full face of applicant,
showing only head and shoulders measuring 35mm x 45mm. Include the photos but do not attach them to the form.
Have one (1) photo endorsed by the Police/Officer by placing
the applicant's name on the reverse side and the signature of the Police/Officer.
- If you are a naturalized South African, a certified copy of your Naturalization Certificate.
- The following requirements need to be submitted with each application in respect of passport applications for applicants under the age of 18 (this includes the emergency travel certificate applications):
- Current certified copy of the child's unabridged birth certificate
- Current certified copy of both parents / legal guardians passports
- Letter from both parents / guardians indicating that permission has been granted for the application of the child's passport
- Contact numbers for both parents / guardians
- Certified copy of death certificate where applicable
- Certified copy of court order where applicable
- Certified copy of marriage certificate where applicable
Passport fees (non-refundable)
|New Passport Fees
|Tourist Passport (Normal Adult passport) 32 pages
|| 103.00 AUD
|Maxi Passport (Adult) 48 pages
|Child Passport (person under 16 years) 32 pages
|Lost or Damaged Passport Fees
|Tourist Passport (Adult / Child passport) 32 pages
|Lost Maxi Passport (double fee) 48 pages
|Stolen Passport - any kind
Payment must be in Australian Dollars (AUD) made out to the "South African High Commission" by way of Postal Money Order or Bank Cheque.
ONE Postal Money order or Bank Cheque for the total amount / whole family is preferred.
Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted. Incorrect payment will not be accepted; in case of incorrect payment the cheque or postal money order will be returned to applicant.
Return Postage: Only Australian applications
- For applications originating from within Australia - a Self-addressed Express or Registered Post Envelope (only one envelope per family).
- Children are no longer endorsed on parent's passports. Minors under the
age of 18 years must have the consent of both parents on form BI-73.
- Dual Citizenship: A South African citizen, who is also a citizen of another country, must use their South
African passport when entering or departing South Africa.
- Foreign Visas in Current Passport: Any valid visas that are contained in your current passport will not be affected in any way. Any queries regarding your visas should be directed to the issuing country concerned.
- Old Passports: Although the note in Paragraph D of the application form indicates that your current / old passport must be forwarded with the application, it is not necessary - please keep your old / current passport.
- Applicable to women: If you want your passport to be issued in your maiden / married surname, a formal letter of request must also be included together with a certified copy of your divorce / marriage certificate.
Postal Address: Only Australian applications
The South African High Commission
Emergency Travel Certificates (Adult or Child)
An Emergency Travel Certificate is valid for only one single journey direct to South Africa and is issued only
to South African citizens who are returning directly to South Africa in
extreme emergency cases.
Once back in South Africa, the applicant may then apply for a Tourist passport.
|Emergency Travel Certificate (Adult)
|Emergency Travel Certificate (Child under 16 years)
To ensure that the correct travel document is issued, kindly contact
the Mission during Consular Office hours 8.30am to 12.00pm on +61 2 6272
7300 for assistance.