South African Visa Requirements
(Please read carefully and retain for your information)
A visa only enables the holder to proceed to a port of entry before the expiry date of the visa. The holder must comply with the applicable law, regulations and the following entry requirements of the Republic of South Africa.
No fixed travel arrangements should be made prior to the issuance of the visa and Ten (10) working days should be allowed for processing from receipt of the application. PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT THE MISSION ENQUIRING THE PROGRESS OF YOUR APPLICATION UNTIL AT LEAST TEN (10) WORKING DAYS AFTER THE MISSION HAS RECEIVED YOUR APPLICATION.
Entry will not be permitted on a one-way flight ticket. The visa may be issued for a maximum period of 90 days. Once the visa is issued; entry is to be made before the expiry date of the visa.
The prescribed visa fee is NOT payable for visa endorsement on DIPLOMATIC or OFFICIAL passports.
- A valid Passport/Travel Document valid for no less than thirty (30) days after the expiry of the intended visit, with two (2) completely blank page.
- A valid visa (if required).
- Sufficient funds (Proof may be requested).
- Yellow fever certificates are required if the journey starts or entails passing through the yellow fever belt of Africa or South America.
- Application form BI-84.
- Original Passport valid for no less than thirty (30) days after the expiry of the intended visit with two (2) completely blank pages.
- One (1) passport size photo.
- Travel itinerary showing onward or return flight details (PRELIMINARY BOOKING ONLY, PLEASE DO NOT MAKE FIRM TRAVEL BOOKING). In the case of transit purposes, proof of onward passage
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover the living expenses in the form of: Recent bank statement for 3 month / Salary advises for 3 months / Cash available / traveller’s cheques.
- A cover letter by the applicant confirming the purpose and duration of the visit signed and dated. Proof of accommodation in South Africa such as hotel booking or a signed letter of invitation from the host in RSA confirming the period of stay, physical address and contact details along-with a recent certified copy of the hosts Identity document (in case of citizens) or proof of residency status in RSA i.e. copy of passport and permit (in case of residents). Scanned copies of documents will be accepted however emailed letters of invitation will not be accepted.
- For Business visits: Signed letters of invitation from the company being visited and the company abroad confirming the purpose and the duration of stay in South Africa.
- In the case of unaccompanied minors (18 years and below) applicant must submit a letter of consent from both parents (if parents are divorced proof of sole custody of the responsible parent) certified copy of applicants full birth certificate, certified copy of the parents’ marriage or death certificate in the case where one of the parents is deceased, adoption papers (if applicable), certified copy of parents passports (photo page).
- Non-Australian passport holders who do not have their Australian visas in their passports, must include a copy of their current valid visa.
- Visa fee (where applicable). Fees payable are dependent on the nationality
of passport held. Where fees are payable, the current fee is 85.00 AUD. However,
check on web page www.sahc.org.au for
more detailed information.
- Currently, Australian and New Zealand passport holders do not need visas to visit South Africa if the purpose of the visit is for holidays and the duration of the intended stay is for 90 days or less.
Payment must be in Australian Dollars (AUD) made out to the South African High Commission by way of Postal Money Order or Bank Cheque. Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted.
- For applications originating from within Australia - a Self-addressed Express
or Registered Post Envelope (only one envelope per family).
South African High Commission
For further information, please contact this Mission between 08:30 and 13:00 Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), Monday to Friday.