Identity Document reapplication
Identity documents can only be issued to South African citizens aged sixteen years or older.
The following documents are to be filled out, clearly printed in black ink:
- A full set of fingerprints to be taken on form DHA-9. Ensure that you provide
your Identity number in the three (3) spaces provided and your full name. Your
signature is required in the space provided. All finger prints must be clearly
rolled to expose all details of the print. The only non-rolled prints are the
'plain prints' which are your four (4) fingers (NOT
- To obtain the DHA-9 finger print form please send a self-addressed prepaid ordinary or express post envelope to the South African High Commission, State Circle, Yarralumla, Canberra 2600. Please include a cover note requesting the form and quoting applicant(s) full name and RSA ID number(s). (If more than one DHA-9 form is required please send a separate envelope for each form or one large envelope to accommodate all the forms).
- Completed BI-529 (citizenship
questionnaire), sections A & B regarding your personal particulars. (Note:
Question 9 is the last permanent date of departure from South Africa). Sections
C & D
requires your parents' particulars, i.e. their names, dates & places of birth
and detail of residence in South Africa.
- A copy of you Retention of South African Citizenship Certificate (dual citizenship) if you also have the citizenship of a foreign country.
- Certified copy of Marriage certificate (female applicants only).
- Certified copy of full birth certificate. Where a name change has taken place, a copy of the approval letter or new amended certificate from the Department of Home Affairs.
- Two (2) certified passport photographs, 35mm x 45mm, in colour showing full facial features of the applicant (head and shoulders).
(Photographs taken at photo booths are not acceptable).
- Fees applicable: 16.00 AUD (non-refundable).
Payment must be in Australian Dollars (AUD) made out to the "South African High Commission" by way of Postal Money Order or Bank Cheque.
Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted. Incorrect payment will not be accepted; in case of incorrect payment the cheque or postal money order will be returned to applicant.
- For applications originating from within Australia - a Self-addressed Express or Registered Post Envelope (only one envelope per family).
The application and supporting documentation should be returned to this Mission for processing.
South African High Commission
Approximately 6 to 12 months as all applications are forwarded to the Department of Home Affairs in South Africa. Please do not contact the Mission before then.
Notice for the Police Officer taking fingerprints.