Academics, Researchers and Sabbaticals
All visa applications have to be lodged in person at the mission in Canberra by prior appointment only.
Persons wishing to travel to South Africa as a visiting academic or on a sabbatical, require a visitor's visa.
- Application Form DHA-1738. Application must be completed and signed in black ink only.
- Non refundable fee of AUD 47.00 payment has to be made by way of a postal money order or bank cheque payable to the South African High Commission. Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted. Incorrect payment will not be accepted.
- A valid machine readable Passport / Travel Document valid for no less than (30) days after the expiry of the intended visit with three (3) completely blank pages. Machine readable passports which have been manually extended are not accepted for visas and for travel purposes.
- Two photographs.
- Medical Certificate
- Police clearance certificate from the police authorities in each country where the applicant, after having attained the age of 18 years, has resided for 12 months or longer during the 5 years immediately preceding the date of application.
- Yellow fever certificate (if your journey starts or entails you passing through yellow fever endemic countries of Africa and South America).
- A letter from the host organization or institution in South Africa, confirming enrolment and a current certified copy of the host's Identity document.
- A letter from the foreign academic institution, confirming enrolment.
- Complete Curriculum vitae and proof of qualifications / testimonials.
- Proof of sufficient funds by means of recently certified bank statements for the last 3 (three) months (including a day or two before application is submitted - minimum of ZAR 3000.00 per month per person) / cash available / travellers cheques.
- Copy of travel itinerary. (Preliminary booking only, please do not make firm travel bookings).
- Entry will not be permitted on a one-way flight ticket,
unless the person is in possession of a valid Temporary Permit issued for 12
months or longer, a Permanent Residence Permit or an appropriate visa.
- Proof of accommodation.
Submission of applications:
According to the new Regulations an application for any visa referred to in section 11 up to and including sections 20 and 22 of the Act must submit his or her application in person to the:
South African High Commission
Phone: (02) 6272 7300
Web Address: www.sahc.org.au
Please bring in a self-addressed registered or express post envelope along with the application.
Processing time currently not available.
For further information, please contact this Mission between 08:30 am and 12:00 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), Monday to Friday.