Medical Treatment Visa
All visa applications have to be lodged in person at the mission in Canberra by prior appointment only.
In terms of the Immigration Act No.13 of 2002, a Medical treatment visa may be issued to a foreigner who needs to undergo medical treatment in South Africa for a period in excess of 90 days.
The following documentation is required and criteria apply:
- Form DHA-1738. Application must be completed and signed in black ink only.
- Non refundable fee of AUD 47.00 payment has to be made by way of a postal money order or bank cheque payable to the South African High Commission. Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted. Incorrect payment will not be accepted.
- A valid machine readable Passport / Travel Document valid for no less than (30) days after the expiry of the intended visit with three (3) completely blank pages. Machine readable passports which have been manually extended are not accepted for visas and for travel purposes.
- One photograph.
- Proof of financial means to cover day to day needs of persons accompanying medical permit holder, if any, in the form of:
- bank statements
- cash available, or travellers' cheques
- An applicant for a medical treatment visa shall submit:
- a letter from his or her registered medical practitioner or medical institution within the Republic confirming:
- that space is available at the medical institution;
- the estimated costs of the treatment;
- whether or not the disease or ailment is treatable or curable;
- the treatment schedule; and
- the period of intended treatment in the Republic;
- The details of, and confirmation by, the person or institution responsible for the medical expenses and hospital fees: Provided that in a case where the applicant's medical scheme or employer is not liable for expenses incurred, proof of financial means to cover the medical costs shall be submitted;
- Particulars of persons accompanying such permit holder
- Proof of return or onward ticket (provisional bookings)
Submission of applications:
According to the new Regulations an application for any visa referred to in section 11 up to and including sections 20 and 22 of the Act must submit his or her application in person to the:
South African High Commission
Phone: (02) 6272 7300
Web Address: www.sahc.org.au
Please bring a self-addressed registered or express post envelope along with the application.
Processing time is twenty one (21) working days from receipt of application if application is complete.
For further information, please contact this Mission between 08:30 am and 12:00 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), Monday to Friday.