Retired Person Visa
All visa applications have to be lodged in person at the mission in Canberra by prior appointment only.
In terms of the Immigration Act No.13 of 2002 a visa may be issued to a foreigner who intends retiring in South African
Please note: The period of validity of the permit shall not exceed four (4) years at a time but may be renewed. Provisional airline bookings may be made for the proposed departure date; however, the Mission advises that payments should not be made in the event of an unsuccessful application.
The following documentation is required and criteria apply:
- Application form - Form DHA-1738. Application must be completed and signed in black ink only.
- A valid machine readable Passport / Travel Document valid for no less than (30) days after the expiry of the intended visit with three (3) completely blank pages. Machine readable passports which have been manually extended are not accepted for visas and for travel purposes.
- One photograph.
- Vaccination certificate if traveled through the yellow fever belt of Africa or South America (if applicable)
- Police Clearance Certificate(s) in respect of all applicants eighteen (18) years and older in respect of all countries where applicant(s) resided for one (1) year or longer. Report must not be older than 6 months. Police clearance (name check) must be obtained from the Police authorities of the country concerned, police clearance certificates from other agencies will not be accepted.
- Medical and radiological reports. Radiology reports not necessary for pregnant women and children 12 years and below. Report must not be older than 6 months.
- Proof of financial means in the form of:
- a pension with a minimum value of 37,000 ZAR per month or an irrevocable retirement annuity or retirement account to the equivalent amount, or
- a net worth / combination of assets realising an income of at least 37,000 ZAR per month
- Non refundable fee of AUD 47.00 payment has to be made by way of a postal money order or bank cheque payable to the South African High Commission. Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted. Incorrect payment will not be accepted.
Submission of applications:
According to the new Regulations an application for any visa referred to in section 11 up to and including sections 20 and 22 of the Act must submit his or her application in person to the:
South African High Commission
Phone: (02) 6272 7300
Web Address: www.sahc.org.au
Please bring a self-addressed registered or express post envelope along with the application.
Processing time is twenty one (21) working days from receipt of application if application is complete.
For further information, please contact this Mission between 08:30 am and 12:00 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), Monday to Friday.