All visa applications have to be lodged in person at the mission in Canberra by prior appointment only.
PLEASE NOTE: Provisional Airline bookings may be made for the proposed departure date, however, the Mission advised that payments should NOT be made in the event of an unsuccessful application.
Persons who intend to study in South Africa will require a Study Visa. This can only be applied for when the applicant is in possession of confirmation of acceptance from the South African educational institution.
Learning Institution means:
- An institution of higher education established in terms of the Higher Education Act, 1997; or
- A college established in terms of the Further Education and Training Colleges Act No. 16 of 2006, but does not include:
A school contemplated in section 1 of the South African Schools Act, 1996.
Before submitting your application for the Study Visa, please ensure ALL the following documentation is completed and enclosed.
- A school offering further education and training programmes under the South African Schools Act, 1996 or
- A college under the authority of a government department other than the Department of Higher Education and Training; or
- A duly completed application form signed by the applicant (Form DHA-1738). Application must be completed and signed in black ink only.
- A valid machine readable Passport / Travel Document valid for no less than (30) days after the expiry of the intended visit with three (3) completely blank pages. Machine readable passports which have been manually extended are not accepted for visas and for travel purposes.
- Two photographs.
- Payment of the prescribed fee of AUD 47.00 (non-refundable) must be in Australian Dollars (AUD) made out to the "South African High Commission" by way of Postal Money Order or Bank Cheque. Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted. Incorrect payment will not be accepted.
- A vaccination certificate if applicant travelled through the yellow fever belt of Africa and South America
- Proof of financial means in the form of:
- For minors parents providing proof of financial support (copies of bank statement) must also include a letter of financial support signed by parent(s).
- Proof of sufficient funds by means of recently certified bank statements for the last 3 (three) months (including a day or two before application is submitted - minimum of ZAR 3000.00 per month per person) / cash available / travellers cheques.
- Undertaking to the learning institution for payment of all fees and accommodation from a bursary scheme or scholarship or parents.
- Proof of medical cover renewed annually for the period of study with a medical scheme registered in terms of the Medical Schemes Act / undertaking by the parents or legal guardian that the learner will have medical cover for the full duration of the period of study.
- Police clearance certificate from the police authorities in each country where the applicant, after having attained the age of 18 years, has resided for 12 months or longer during the 5 years immediately preceding the date of application.
- Copy of a return air ticket if studies are less than 12 months.
- Medical Certificate
- An official letter of provisional acceptance at the learning institution and the duration of the course; an undertaking by the Registrar or Principal of learning institution to provide proof of registration within 60 days of registration.
in the case of a foreign state accepting responsibility for the applicant in terms of a bilateral agreement, a written undertaking from such foreign state to pay for the departure of the applicant.
- Details regarding arranged accommodation.
- In the case of a student under the age of 18 years:
- An unabridged birth certificate (certified copy).
- Proof of consent for the intended stay from both parents, or, where applicable, from the legal guardian who has been issued with a court order granting full or specific parental responsibilities and rights or legal guardianship of the learner. Provided that in the case where one parent provides proof of consent, that parent must also provide a copy of a court order issued to him or her in terms of which he or she has been granted full parental responsibilities and rights in respect of the child. Current certified copy of photo page of parent(s) or legal guardians passport(s).
- Download: Parental Consent Affidavit. Affidavit must not be older than 6 months.
- A letter from the person who is to receive the child in the Republic, containing his or her residential address and contact details in the Republic where the child will be residing.
- A certified copy of the identity document or valid passport and visa or permanent residence permit of the person who is to receive the child in the Republic; and
the contact details of the parents or legal guardian of the child.
- Date of certification of document not to be older than a month.
- An outline of the course or academic programme for which the applicant has been accepted and proof of the required qualifications to attend it.
- The holder of a Study Visa may also apply for permission to conduct work in the form of practical training as part of the studies to obtain a diploma, degree by submitting:
- An offer to do practical training
- Consent from the learning institution (may be done when is South Africa)
- If the applicant is studying at a higher educational institution, he/she may apply for part-time employment not exceeding 20 hours per week, which shall not apply during academic vacation, by submitting:
- An offer of employment
- Letter of consent from the learning institution (may be done when in South Africa)
- Application for a study visa to undertake training at a South African Aviation School / Aviation Training Organisation registered with the South African Civil Aviation Authority will have to include a valid Training Approval Certificate issued by SACAA.
- Medical Elective students should kindly ensure that they are enrolled with the Health Professional Council of South Africa (HPCSA) and submit the original certificate as proof; and a certificate of "No Objection" from the South African Department of Health.
- Letter from the University in Australia to provide proof of enrolment at the University in Australia.
Submission of applications:
According to the new Regulations an application for any visa referred to in section 11 up to and including sections 20 and 22 of the Act must submit his or her application in person to the:
South African High Commission
Phone: (02) 6272 7300
Web Address: www.sahc.org.au
Please bring a self-addressed registered or express post envelope along with the application.
Processing time is twenty one (21) working days from receipt of application if application is complete.
For further information, please contact this Mission between 08:30 am and 12:00 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), Monday to Friday.