Volunteer Visitor Visa
All visa applications have to be lodged in person at the mission in Canberra by prior appointment only.
Foreigners 18 years and older who wish to undertake non-remunerative volunteer or charitable activities with bona fide Non Profitable / Charitable Organisations in South Africa may apply for a visa under this category for a period not exceeding three years; Persons receiving payment, salary or wages of any nature will require a Work Permit. Persons volunteering for under 90 days would apply for a visitor's visa.
To be able to obtain the necessary Permit from this Mission, the following documentation is required:
- Duly completed application Form
DHA-1738 (signed by the applicant). Application must be completed and signed in black ink only.
- A valid machine readable Passport / Travel Document valid for no less than (30) days after the expiry of the intended visit with three (3) completely blank pages. Machine readable passports which have been manually extended are not accepted for visas and for travel purposes.
- Two photographs.
- Non refundable fee of AUD 47.00 payment has to be made by way of a postal money order or bank cheque payable to the South African High Commission. Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted. Incorrect payment will not be accepted.
- A vaccination certificate, if travelled through the yellow fever belt of South America or Africa
- Proof of sufficient funds by means of recently certified bank statements for the last 3 (three) months (including a day or two before application is submitted - minimum of ZAR 3000.00 per month per person) / cash available / travellers cheques. Applicant has to provide proof of his/her own financial means. Financial guarantees supporting proof of funds from host / parent organisation will not be accepted.
- Flight reservations (provisional bookings only): flights to correspond with dates on invitation letter from host organization.
- Police clearance certificate from the police authorities in each country where the applicant, after having attained the age of 18 years, has resided for 12 months or longer during the 5 years immediately preceding the date of application.
- Medical Certificate
- Confirmation on letterhead by host organization in South Africa (Non Profitable Organisation / Charitable Organisation), the nature of the voluntary service to be provided, period of stay and confirmation that it is not a paid post. Financial guarantees supporting proof of funds from host organisation will not be accepted. A current certified copy of the Identity Document of person who signs the organization letter.
- Written undertaking from applicant that after your voluntary service you will not accept work in South Africa and leave the country (stating date of departure from South Africa).
- Proof of accommodation for the duration of stay in South Africa.
- Financial undertaking or support by a foreigner (parents / spouse of an applicant who is not a South African citizen) is no longer recognized in terms of the South African Immigration Regulations.
Submission of applications:
According to the new Regulations an application for any visa referred to in section 11 up to and including sections 20 and 22 of the Act must submit his or her application in person to the:
South African High Commission
Phone: (02) 6272 7300
Web Address: www.sahc.org.au
Please bring a self-addressed registered or express post envelope along with the application.
Processing time currently not available.
For further information, please contact this Mission between 08:30 am and 12:00 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), Monday to Friday.