Your Gateway to the Rainbow Nation
The Mission is situated in Canberra, the capital of Australia.
Apart from the Department of International Relations and
Cooperation, the departments of Trade and Industry and Home Affairs are
also represented at the Mission.
Honorary Consuls are situated in Melbourne, South Australia,
Brisbane (vacant) and Perth.
The South African High Commission is operational from 8:30am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday.
The office will remain closed during Lunch Break: 1:00pm to 2:00pm.
Consular hours strictly from 8:30am to 1:00pm Monday to Friday.
Submission of applications in person at the Mission between 8:30 am to 1:00pm only.
The following public holidays will be observed by the Mission during the current year January to December 2015.
The Mission will remain closed on the dates.
- 01/01/2015 (Thursday)
- 26/01/2015 (Monday)
- 03/04/2015 (Friday)
- 06/04/2015 (Monday)
- 27/04/2015 (Monday)
- 01/05/2015 (Friday)
- 08/06/2015 (Monday)
- 10/08/2015 (Monday)
- 28/09/2015 (Monday)
- 05/10/2015 (Monday)
- 16/12/2015 (Wednesday)
- 25/12/2015 (Friday)
Registration To Vote For The 2019 Elections
South African citizens who have not previously registered to vote or first time voters and wish to vote for the 2019 Elections, are hereby invited to apply for registration.
Registration of South Africans Abroad
||DIRCO has developed a unique software termed ROSA (Registration of South Africans Abroad) that allows both individual and group travellers to register, update their profiles and de-register their profiles on-line. ROSA is a software program that enables all South African citizens who are travelling, working, living or studying abroad to register online with DIRCO. Registration is voluntary and free, and your information is kept private. Register with us.
South African Newspapers
Refund of Repatriation Deposits
Notice No. R 806 published in Government Gazette No. 38030, dated 13 October 2014
Refunds of Repatriation Guarantee Deposits lodged with the Mission have to be claimed before 28th Feb 2015. Failure to claim a refund by 28th February 2015 will result in the deposit forfeited to the State as unclaimed.
Statement by the Minister of Home Affairs, in Cape Town
Implementation of new immigration regulations on 16 September 2014.
Announcements with regard to the implementation of the new immigration regulations which came into effect on May 26th of this year - a postponement granted to June 1st 2015 of two particular requirements the Unabridged Birth Certificate and written permission.
Travel Information for children (under the age of 18) travelling to South Africa
Where parents are travelling with a child, such parents must produce an unabridged birth certificate of the child reflecting the particulars of the parents of the child.
In the case of one parent travelling with a child, he or she must produce an unabridged birth certificate and:
- consent in the form of an affidavit from the other parent registered as a parent on the birth certificate of the child authorizing him or her to enter into or depart from the Republic with the child he or she is travelling with; OR
- a court order granting full parental responsibilities and rights or legal guardianship in respect of the child, if he or she is the parent or legal guardian of the child; OR
- where applicable, a death certificate of the other parent registered as a parent of the child on the birth certificate;
Where a person is travelling with a child who is not his or her biological child, he or she must produce:
- a copy of the unabridged birth certificate of the child;
- an affidavit from the parents or legal guardian of the child confirming that he or she has permission to travel with the child;
- copies of the identity documents or passports of the parents or legal guardian of the child; and
- the contact details of the parents or legal guardian of the child
Any unaccompanied minor shall produce to the immigration officer:
- proof of consent from one of or both his or her parents or legal guardian, as the case may be, in the form of a letter or affidavit for the child to travel into or depart from the Republic; Provided that in the case where one parent provides proof of consent, that parent must also provide a copy of a court order issued to him or her in terms of which he or she has been granted full parental responsibilities and rights in respect of the child;
- a letter from the person who is to receive the child in the Republic, containing his or her residential address and contact details in the Republic where the child will be residing;
- a copy of the identity document or valid passport and visa or permanent residence permit of the person who is to receive the child in the Republic; and
- the contact details of the parents or legal guardian of the child.
Passport requirements Machine readable with at least 2 blank pages when entering the Republic
Visa & Permit Information is currently under change please email email@example.com for requirements.
South African Temporary Passports will no longer be issued with effect for 1st September 2014 in accordance with recent directives. The Mission is no longer accepting applications for Temporary Passports with immediate effect.
Final Immigration Regulations 2014 (link)
New Fees Effective From 1st May 2015
|Lost / Damaged Passport
|Emergency Travel Certificate
|Identity Document (Re Issue)
|Unabridged Birth / Death / Marriage Certificates
|Amendment to Birth Register
|Change of Surname / Forename Minor
|Change of Forename Major
|Change of Surname Major
|Duplicate confirmation of change of majors forename / surname
|Letter of confirmation of marital status (Certificate of non-impediment)
|Retention of Citizenship
|Resumption of Citizenship (Exemption from
loss of citizenship)
|Confirmation of SA Citizenship
Passports page fees
South African Government
Arts and Culture
Search South Africa
Please note: Adobe Acrobat is required to view this